Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Rediscovering the Old

I'm a fan of old music. 1970s old music. I love Clapton. I like the Doobie Brothers, the Eagles, the Allman Brothers Band, Kenny Loggins. Every once in a while, I'll get on a kick and listen to some of my favorite (and some forgotten) oldies.

I recently bought the newest Jeff Beck album. He's an old guy that got his start with the Yardbirds in the late 1960s and is one of the guitar greats from the 70s. It's mainly an instrumental album. I love it. I'd have to say that instrumentals are a tough first album to get for getting into a new artist (at least new to the listener), but this one was a grand slam. If nothing else, find "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Jeff Beck somewhere on the Internet - it might just rock the socks right off your feet.

Another old group that I just got into is Led Zeppelin. I knew their songs before, but never had an album. I "phoned a friend" who knows anything you could ever want to know about Led Zeppelin. I asked which one I should get if I were to only get one. He paused and then said, "That's a tough one." He ended up giving me the Cliff Notes version of what each album was like for I, II, III, ZOSO, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence, and In Through the Out Door. But then he added that ZOSO was probably the best, in his opinion, at showing their diversity. To say I have been pleased with choosing ZOSO would be an understatement. It makes me wish I had been a teenager in the 1970s so I could have been there to experience all the great music that was happening then. I guess it's pretty good these days, because I don't have to wait 9 months for the next album to come out - they've been out for 40 years!

No comments: